Sunday, March 12, 2006

Exam Stress and Children

I feel very sad when I hear of schoolchildren committing suicide due to exam stress. Something is awfully wrong if a young person has to take her/his life because of some silly exam. Parents and teachers must introspect. I happened to see the following quotation in a much thumbed copy of The Bloomsbury Dictionary of Quotations which I had bought more than ten years ago: "Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared, for the greatest fool may ask more than the wisest man can answer." - Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832). The words of this British clergyman and writer do make a lot of sense. Every school and college teacher and parent must memorise these words. It will do a lot of good. No exam is worth a life.

3 Comments:

Blogger vi said...

Exactly...I still get nightmares about my Math exams!

vi

9:04 PM  
Blogger Dev said...

Hi vi ... Math exams and nightmares go together do they not? But do read the next entry in my blog about Dev Benegal's forthcoming film. Hope that doesn't induce nightmares! :))))

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dev said...

Thanks Jason. Will go through it in my spare time and I will let you know how I found it

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home