Monday, March 20, 2006

Kesarbai Kerkar's songs on Holi

Today is Rangpanchami, the fifth day of Holi. In the evening I accidentally picked up a CD of the songs of Kesarbai Kerkar (1892-1977) titled living music from the past Kesarbai Kerkar from my collection of CDs. This CD has been brought out by underscore records . The music was originally on 78 rpm gramophone records. I remember reading about this online music shop in Outlook magazine and Kesarbai's CD was the first, and so far only, album I have bought from this site. So as the songs started playing I realised to my delight that the fifth and sixth tracks were on the festival of colours, i.e. Holi. These tracks are Aab To Khel le Phag (Kafi Hori) and Kaheko Daari Gulalre Brijraj Aaj Kanhaiya (Raag Bhairavi). With each track lasting more than 11 minutes it was almost half an hour of sheer listening pleasure. An unplanned treat. The very best.
p.s. Do visit the site of underscore records and take a look at the music they are offering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home